Memory Lanes

Pictures of everyday life, travels or locations. Now living in one of the most beautiful regions of France, part of it is the Gard department, I will post shots of this place where time seems to have stopped. For each photo, a caption in English will be posted too. Just double-click on an image to get a bigger shot. Many thanks to my friend Scott for giving me such an intense yet fleeting insight into precious moments of life captured on a still image.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Palazzo Farnese


One of the most beautiful palaces in Rome, designed by Michelangelo in the 16th century. It is also the French embassy, apparently the costliest to run abroad as France actually rents it from some private owner...

At a time when the French government cuts down on all expenses and starkly diminishes the number of its mainland civil servants, there are still those abroad who continue to live lavishly at the taxpayer's expense.

Having spent two years abroad, working for my country, I was also a regular guest of the local embassy and I remember many a reception when champagne was flowing while in the street the natives were starving.

The funniest, if I may say so, was the reception in honour of the Minister in charge of the Foreign Affairs who was touring the African capitals just to say crap. He started his speech in the gardens of the embassy under a canopy while all the attendants were in the sun. His speech lingered for ages, and, as it was about 44°C in the shade, all the listeners dressed in their Sunday's best, started to drop one by one. For me, the party ended when my housemate fainted in front of me and I had to take him to some cooler spot.

No champagne was had on that day...

Top100Bloggers.com